Monday, September 21, 2009

Capitalism

Today I've been researching anything I could find on Michael Moore's new movie, Capitalism A Love Story. Mostly because I am curious and fascinated by his upcoming "masterpiece". Exposing Corporatism that has taken over our nation.... right up my alley.
It's getting great reviews and noted to be quite "nonpartisan".
I am a recent convert to this dear and sorely overweight man.
I'll be honest, I used to loath this guy. I detested Bowling for Columbine, mainly because it was so biased that it was blatantly dishonest; the way he sliced film footage together to make his point. And no matter what one can say (and we can say a lot) about the NRA , Charlton Heston did not deserve such poor treatment! C'mon, this is a man who played Moses in The Ten Commandments! Who of us growing up didn't see Ben Hur or Planet of the Apes every year on the Family Classics channel?

I equally couldn't stand Fahrenheit 9/11. Remember when he was bullying those Senators at the Capital? I couldn't help think he was just one rude - big fat pig! Well, now we know he was right on target about everything concerning the Iraq War.
I just recently rented Roger and Me; such a brilliant foretelling of GM. Mike, you're amazing!

So my husband and I went rather reluctantly to see Sicko and my heart was forever changed toward Michael Moore. Think the Grinch, when his heart grows three sizes bigger... that movie made my husband, who is one of the most unpolitical guys in America- cry.
What is especially heartwarming to me about the man is that he actually seems to care about our country. He truly cares about the working class who (remember?) are the backbone of our society. It's very endearing.

So Michael finds out that one of his harshest critics, Jim Kenefik, who set up a "Moore Watch.com" blog, a total Moore hater, has a wife who is having medical problems and he can't pay his bills. Michael anonymously pays the bill! http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=62549

He is a big Teddy Bear in a baseball cap!

My research today led me to another man who practically invented modern economics, Adam Smith - the Father of Capitalism. I recall learning about him in Economics ... I'm going tomorrow to get his book, Wealth of Nations.

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked Michael Moore...and can't WAIT to see "Capitalism"!!!

    I'm glad you've come around Tracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, I like Michael Moore, however, he makes the mistake(s) of
    1) Inserting himself a bit too much into his story
    2) Preaches to the choir: The people who REALLY need to see his films probably won't..
    I'm in the process of germinating a film idea, but it has to come across as more mainstream so I can reach them Teabaggers, etc.. They really need some serious consciousness expansion! (Have you seen Thanks For Smoking? I'm thinking kinda like this but even less obvious, if that's possible) If you have any suggestions, please send them along! Go Tracie Go!

    ReplyDelete