Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We are United.

Dear Governor Ted Strickland,

I fell in love with your state... twice actually.. once back in 08 and again in the 2010 midterm election.

I was touched profoundly by the many people I met as I organized tirelessly on your behalf throughout my rural counties I was in charge of.

The average citizens of Southeastern Ohio..teachers, steel workers, pipe fitters,electricians..grocery store clerks..students .. all wonderful hardworking people.
People that are the very fabric of working America.

You know we tried..we poured our hearts and soul and all of our energy into your re election..WE believed you were the best man to govern Ohio. You are. I am so sorry for how things turned out.

The voters wouldn't believe us when we told them what they were in for with Kasich at the helm..even Labor seemed to have lost their zeal and appeared to not grasp the urgency of winning your campaign and what it meant for the future of Ohio.

and now look at what's happening.. it started in Wisconsin..and is now spreading to other states..including your own- Ohio.

When you came to say thank you and good bye to all of us at the Ohio Democratic Party headquarters in Columbus...you said it. You called these radical extreme right wingers like Scott Walker and John Kasich "crazies".. and since you are a Psychologist..I knew you knew what you were talking about. It wasn't some off the cuff political rhetoric or attack.. it was TRUE. And now these "crazies" are injuring our country in dangerous ways..and there are a whole lot of folks that just aren't "getting" that.


I know Ohio is suffering without your leadership and you must be feeling a bit sad... you must be thinking "I told you so.." but sometimes it takes a wake up call to get people moved to action..and it appears this Senate bill 5 may just be that wake up call.
Maybe the people will finally "get" it. And victory will be won in defeating this extreme piece of Legislation.

I mean..this isn't just about balancing the budget and making up a shortfall..this is a purposeful agenda..to break the backs of organized Labor, to cripple the middle working class and further the prosperity of a select few.

Among the changes to this 27-year-old collective bargaining law, Senate Bill 5 would base pay raises on merit – instead of automatic increases – and eliminate layoff protection for the longest-serving union workers. Police and firefighters, who cannot strike, would lose binding arbitration to resolve disputes. The bill would weaken bargaining for teachers and other local union members and make them pay a larger share of health insurance premiums.

This bill would take away the rights of tens of thousands AFSCME members to negotiate for wages, health care, sick leave, dental, and other benefits.

I know you stand with the common worker in Ohio.. that you are one of them...and how very proud you are of those Police, Firefighters and teachers. I also know what kind of decent man you are and how you won't ever stop fighting for what is right and fair..

I heard you gave a great speech that inspired the protesters at the Ohio Statehouse yesterday.

I wasn't there but I can only imagine how much it boosted their spirits and solidarity! I have heard you speak and I know how you inspired me.
Please continue to move and cheer on the good citizens of Ohio. They need you more than ever!

You said you and Frances will work hard to help President Obama get re-elected..I am thanking you now because I know you worry about the state of our country as a whole. And Ohio is so important for 2012.

I am sorry that you aren't the standing Governor in Ohio at this important time..but there is always reasons we may not understand for things turning out as they do.. I think you said that ...and what is happening in Wisconsin, Ohio and now all across the country may be necessary to make people realize what is finally at stake. And it's comforting to know you will be on the fighting lines!

We are strong. We are united.

Sincerely,
Tracie Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment